Friday, April 29, 2011

Find yourself, find love

You girls always give me so much to think about. Every time I talk you I want to do another girls club and have another conversation and share more thoughts!

I want to base this one off of two different girls, one who has lost her group of friends and another struggling to love herself. Perhaps these should be 2 different posts but if 2 then 10! I think they share the same root of the problem. Follow me if you will.

Loosing friendships is hard. So very hard. In order to address the problem, we need to really dig deeper and address the problem. Why? Why is it hard? What do you want from others? What do we expect from friendships? Why do we engage in these relationships, so temporal and fragile? I think when we really trim back the fluff and get to the root of it, we want love. Human's have an innate desire to love and be loved (I have my own theories on that, but that's for a different day). We are programed for love, we run off of it. If I have one person who loves me, I can do anything - it gives me strength everyday, it fuels my life. We all need to give love and to feel love.

To feel love. That is the challenge we all face, and that is what units these two problems, as well as many, many others. I would even go as far as to call that desire for love the root of all pain, agony, and fear, self-induced and otherwise. But it can also bring us the greatest joy. We want to feel loved.

Ideally, our parents should be one sure source of love for us all. Many parents are caught up in their own problems - that doesn't mean they don't love us, it just means they can't show it right now. They do still love you. No matter what they say or do. Sometimes things just get in the way. Sometimes we both sides just don't communicate it very well. Our parents love isn't the end of it though.

Many people look for love in poor relationships and are taken advantage of and get hurt even worse. Be careful of those. Surround yourself with people that bring you joy and love you for you. No matter what. You deserve that love, pure genuine love. Don't settle for less.


Now the flip side of it - love others. Some of the people I love best in the world are ones that found me in a dark corner and just loved me. I can't express how much I love them for that. I needed it and I appreciate them and the impact they have had on my life. They are the forever friends - because they loved me when I was at my worst. Be that person for someone else. Find someone that needs your love and love them - wholeheartedly. You won't regret it.

These last few weeks have reminded me more than ever that everyone is fighting a hard battle, everyone needs your love. Love people 100%. If they only love you back 30% or 50% or 80%, enjoy their love. If they love you back 100% then you have a great friend.

Perhaps the most important: love yourself. There are so many people criticizing us, so many people judging us, you don't need to do that to yourself. Love who you are! Love yourself for all the amazing attributes you have or want to have. Even just having a desire to be better is a step in the right direction - be happy about it! I think we will talk about power statements next girls club - but remember to tell yourself how amazing you are. Look in the mirror. Really see yourself. And Smile.

Love is a process that we all have to work through. Be patient. Find yourself, find your niche, and find love.

Love.


What are some of your suggestions? How do we find love from others?

3 comments:

  1. Everybody, everybody wants to love.... Everybody, everybody wants to be loved!..... Ingrid, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenzi ChristensenApril 30, 2011 1:50 PM

    Thank you for doing this blog. I really love the advice and strength I get from GIRLS club, but unfortunately I'm not able to come much because I'm usually gone by lunch. I feel like I have lost my friends as well because of hurtful lies and backstabbing, so it is hard for me to want to come to school. But I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... I think I'm gonna print this post out and hang it on my wall.
    Yup.
    Done deal.

    ReplyDelete